Hi there! I'm a web developer with expertise in front-end development, web accessibility, and improving the collaborative teamwork of product, design, and code to deliver value to the people who use our products.
User Interface Design Engineer, University of Michigan Library
January 2020 to present
- Responsible for setting user interface standards and practices for the Library. This includes technology investigation, documentation around development practices, design and development workflows, integrating human-centered design practices, and provide training to developers and web teams.
- Created the U-M Library Design System (design-system.lib.umich.edu) and formed a team to establish a design language and sustainably maintain high-quality user interface solutions, so that our developers, designers, and web teams can make U-M Library websites that meet our brand standards, are accessible, and work well for everyone.
- Lead the front-end development and accessibility teams to redesign the primary public website (lib.umich.edu). It has a perfect 100% accessibility score by Deque Comply accessibility auditing software.
Front-end Developer & Accessibility Specialist, University of Michigan Library
June 2017 to December 2019
- Founding co-chair for the U-M Library Digital Accessibility Team, a cross-organizational team to elevate our impact on diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility by providing resources to staff, such as tailored accessibility consultations, web accessibility evaluations reporting, and learning and training events.
- Developed the React-based front-end for Library Search (search.lib.umich.edu), an essential core product -- for the fourth-largest research library in the United States -- by providing the University of Michigan access to tens of millions of books, articles, databases, and more, which supports the multi-billion-dollar research university to accomplish its mission of academic excellence.
- Introduced modern front-end tooling, such as building a React component library for the Library Search single-page-application to support consistency and shared understanding of common Library Search UI components.
Interface Developer, University of Michigan Library
September 2015 to May 2017
- Developed the front-end for our MGet It product, which helps people find journal articles and books by citation information and understand options for access.
- Investigated modern front-end tooling for the Library Search product by building proof of concepts and iterating on feedback.
Web Developer, Skokie Public Library
August 2014 to August 2015
- In under four months of my start date, I designed and developed and quickly learned Python and Django to build a modern and responsible public website to better serve the community.
- Taught bi-weekly introductory, hands-on web development, and Python courses for the Skokie Community.
- Designed and built a book recommendation product end-to-end for librarians to curate lists of titles based on individual patron interests. This service quickly became a favorite.
Adjunct Web Developer, Grand Valley State University Libraries
November 2012 - August 2014
- Designed and developed contextual digital signage on each floor of the library, so that visitors can have quick access to wayfinding, computer availability, and information about study room reservations.
- Designed a room reservation interface with HTML and CSS that was implemented throughout campus as the interface for the University’s room reservation system.
- Developed Library Status, a quick and easy open-source status monitor for all library systems (gvsu.edu/library/status).
Grand Valley State University, Allendale, Michigan
August 2011 - April 2014
Bachelor of Science in Information Systems
Delta College, Saginaw, Michigan
August 2008 - April 2011
Associate in Applied Arts, Electronic Media
Burke, B., Earley, J. (2019, October). Boom: A Design System. Presented at Higher Education Web Professionals Association, Milwaukee, WI.
Earley, J. (2018, June). Bringing it all together with Library Search. Presented at User Experience in Libraries, Sheffield, UK.
Earley, J. (2017, April). Search Experience at the University of Michigan Library. Presented at Code4Lib Midwest, Chicago, IL.